Thursday, November 10, 2016

Feeling a little disconnected…

I’ve continued working on my novel this week. Writing and revising. I’ve tried to not do so much revising or editing as I am writing because that usually slows me down or frustrates me. I found myself at time writing something and then immediately going back to edit it. When I caught myself doing that, I tried to continue writing unless it was completely necessary to adjust something. At times this week, I also felt a little disconnected from my novel. While my novel’s story line and my own life have never been exactly the same, I’ve always felt connected to my story and my characters. This week however, I have not felt the same. Let me give you an example of one of the times where I’ve felt disconnected. My character is not looking forward to the holidays at all. She is dreading the fact that she is driving back home for school’s winter break (she’s a college student) while I, on the other hand, am completely excited about the holidays almost being here. I have a ton of family coming over to celebrate together and I am just not feeling connected with my novel this week. I don’t think I was able to handle this disconnect very well this week as I felt pretty frustrated about it but hopefully I can manage to calm my excitement about the holidays and write about what my character is going through. For this coming week I am planning on writing different chapters of my novel where there are happy things going on and see how that works out. Experiencing this type of disconnect has been very weird to me because it hasn’t really happen to me in such way before. I have not always experience the same situations my characters have but I’ve managed to write and focus in their lives and not mine. We’ll see how things move along in the coming final weeks of the semester.  

No comments:

Post a Comment